Monday, September 01, 2008

2nd Anniversary

It has been two years since I immigrated……WOW. I really don’t think I knew this at the time but 1 Sept is also Labour Day in the US……..so I have the day off work! I am, honestly, startled to reflect back. The day I arrived in the US wasn’t all that I had expected nor hoped for, a year on I was, I think, equally bemused. But here I am, startlingly happy. I had some very clearly defined dreams for the US…….honestly all about me and it's all proving to be the grandest adventure. Somethings are exactly how I imagined and some things are different and bringing new and different adventures. I never did imagine living on the west coast…..I did think the East coast (NY) was where I was going. Silicon Valley? Well no, but a job that used my skills, yes always. I really am having a grand time and having the bike and my new home brings new grown up moments and a greater sense of being settled.
Two weekends back I did a road trip to Half Moon Bay. It's about 50miles north of Santa Cruz along a very scenic coast road. It was the first big ride I had taken with the windshield. What a difference that makes. Don't get nearly so tired and very comfortable to sit back and enjoy the scenary. I hadn't exactly planned to do the trip but was at the bank on the North side of town and decided I would like to spend some time on the coast, hit the road and saw the sign for Half Moon Bay. I'd travelled the road once with Michelle so I just decided to keep going. Turns out Half Moon Bay is this cute little tourist town full of galleries, a fab kitchen shop and an amazing antique store called "Half To Have It". I had quite a fun time ferreting around. No militaria but some fun stuff to look at. It was a great day and I also saw some great art along the way. Coming home I hooked in with a couple of other riders who set a nice pace. I really enjoyed the whole day.
During the week Marcia arrived back from LA so we headed down to the wharf to have some dinner. I decided to walk as I was feeling the need for exercise. The entire beach and wharf were engulfed in a sea fog - very funny to be out on the wharf and have no sense of there being an ocean out there somewhere. Rather than sit at the window we sat up at the bar and watched surfing videos taken along Santa Cruz beach.....somewhere. Marcia introduced me to Meyer Lemon Drop Martini's. Three down and I was glad I was walking home. I needed both the exercise and the fresh air. I had work the next morning so drunk gallons of water before falling into bed (worse for Marcia, she had a 6am flight out of San Fran!). It was fun though and the food was good......seafood of course.
This week we have a two and half day global program meeting. People flying in from all over the world. It will be interesting to meet some of these folks in person - given how well I've come to know their voices.














No comments: