Friday, December 19, 2008

Catching up

It's been a while...went fast though.  Family came and what a fab visit.  Renting the house next to mine was a winner.  So easy to come together each day and/or have people able to head off to bed with ease.  It really was four full on days!  Some big adventures and some little ones.  Much good food, good wine and laughter.  I really had a very grand time.  One of the very best standout moments that stays with me was the Monterey Aquarium.  It is remarkable for many many reasons (conservation not being the least of it, on occasion they have great white sharks that have been caught in fishing nets, they bring them in and nurse them to the point that they can release them!).  But apart from the kelp forest they have a jelly fish display.  We all went to the 15min talk on "jellies" and then were totally wowed by the display......the reason you don't see jellies many places is that it is incredibly hard to replicate their natural environment - it was quite fantastic. 
It was lovely to see everyone, share stories and laughter.  Marcia, Michelle and Margarita came over for a BBQ on the Sunday before everyone left, nice to merge some parts of my world and nice to enjoy the good food as well (yay to having chefs and foodies in the family).
Back to work and all thought of holidays forgotten, what a difference 4 days makes.  It proved to be a very big week (but I am thinking I say this constantly!).  As well as delivering on our (more than big) work program I am part of negotiating the next Qtrs contract.  I am fortunate to be part of a series of programs that are focused on growing the business so, while not easy times, my job is secure....or so it seems, and (frankly, more importantly) I am not looking at having to downsize my team.  Hard to say how people here are feeling about the downturn.  It is tough times, but we are busier than ever.
Counting the days to New Mexico, seeing the mother and Karen and Brice.  I am really looking forward to it, although I will have to work some days and I am on call throughout.  It's snowing in New Mexico and I (for one) am looking forward to it - my love affair with snow remains undiminished, although Karen assures me it is nothing like the snow I had when I lived on the ranch....that was rather special and lovely, particularly for my 40th....

No comments: