Thursday, March 05, 2009

Life of a working gal

So really my life has mostly been about work in the last week!  Apparently I've just been part of the largest ever IT release Cisco has had.  Now that is kinda cool and marks me as a true geek - this is one of the reasons I wanted to work in the US, you get to be part of big arse things!  Being part of it has meant incredibly long hours (closer to 15 than 10) and great highs and lows.  For the release weekend I had planned two nights in San Jose but stayed three - there came a point where going home was pointless.  While working days I've "enjoyed" being on call from 1am to 9am for several days now....which has also meant being woken at 3 and 4 am when the system crashes.  It's a global company and there is always someone somewhere awake that requires an explanation! At the same time the rest of my team goes on and I have to keep managing that.  Honestly it's been a grand thing to be part of, I've learnt alot and have been surprised at my own stamina.
Staying in SJ did mean a TV for three nights...still bemused why people pay for it when they can watch for free online (yeah okay you pay for your internet connection).  But I did get to watch Slumdog Millionaire - it's a great movie, kept me on the edge of my seat though.  I thought it was very clever how they put it together.  Kept me awake between midnight and 2am...when I had to physically go into work.  I loved loved loved the dancing at the end!
It's been raining endlessly here, making Californians a little grumpy.  It's a good thing though - this place had got way to dry and it's a welcome relief for farmers.  
Countdown is on for Palm Springs and the NZ girls.  So looking forward to that!

No comments: