Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Being on the 'b' team

So today United Airlines called me and asked if I was still interested in being a flight attendant. Actually they left a message on my cell - I deleted it, I guess my answer is clear. How odd to send such a definitive "thanks but no thanks" and then call back......on my cellphone. Oh well a few months does make a difference and I am in a different place and time (i.e. I guess I am not completely driven to be a flight attendant). As it is I am quite busy enough and reminded that life generally throws you where you are meant to go!
Last weekend involved a little adventure to Carmel-by-the-sea.......yes a really odd name but commonly referred to as Carmel. Imagine, if you will, Queenstown-by-the-sea. Sharon, Maddie and I spent a weekend adventuring. The beach really was spectacular and the town really as dog friendly as a dog lover could hope for. It's only about an hour or so from Santa Cruz - which did mean Sharon had to drive the hour and a half to Santa Cruz first, a big ask on a Friday night. I then drove us to Carmel.......in the dark and quite comfortably given I had been a little nervous about driving in the US before I got my license. We found accomodation that could accommodate Maddie.......it was "rustic" but not unpleasant and clean. She did manage to chew her way through the cord of the coffee machine (Maddie not Sharon) - before we realised - but she's little, it's forgivable. I confessed it to the staff and so far I haven't heard what the penalty is...........it's America, you should never assume anythings gone away until it has but they will be hard pushed to charge me much given the less than high end coffee machine! And I'm way more vigilant about following these things up than I was in NZ.
Job goes well. Every day I learn something new and get some insight into working in the US and for a global company. In terms of my skills it's an evolution not a revolution. I'm not sure what it looks like 12 months from now and I'm not sure that it matters........12months........or six weeks for that matter.......changes everything. I'm happy to roll with it and see what tomorrow brings (as long as I can pay the bills and then some!).

No comments: