Sunday, August 10, 2008

Living a life

So I guess there would be no surprises - apart from working I've been out riding, enjoying the summer evenings and beautiful California countryside. The pic on the left was the sunset view from by deck a few nights back, I'm not sure the picture captures just how spectacular it was but thought it worth sharing.
Anyway back to the bike. Being mobile again means I have really started to be able to explore the Santa Cruz area - both the mountains and the coast. Last Wednesday Marcia and I headed into the mountains and did a fab ride through the redwood forest. Despite the picture, it wasn't actually raining or even vaguely damp - I raided this off someone elses blog to show what the road was like. We dropped down from the forest and headed along the coast road. On the left is a picture of the beach that forms part of Natural Bridges state park. Going from the mountains down to the coast in a ride of roughly an hour was pretty amazing.
On Saturday we rode through to Corralitos - maybe a 45min ride. It's this tiny little town that has an amazing reputation for sasuages! There's a local store with a great meat selection. The local "fair" was on and it was just like any small town fair in NZ - Scouts were out in force.....strangely (as these things go) there was also a break dancing demonstration. The pic on the left is mine and Marcia's bikes and on the right Marcia getting ready to ride. Before anyone thinks to ask - yes you do have to wear a helmet in California, yes I only ever wear a full face, no I don't ride sleeveless (I wear a leather jacket) and my riding boots.......lessons learnt long ago!
Anyway the weekend ride was fun as we drove through a lot of orchard country. A little sad too as Corralitos was hit baddly by the fires and we passed a lot of burnt out country where houses had been destoyed. Oddly too at times the entire surrounding area would be burnt out and houses untouched - kind of creepy.
Other things - works busy, as always. My new home is lovely and I am well settled in. Took the ex.room mate and her boyfriend out for dinner on Friday. Had a lovely evening and drunk some very good NZ Pinot Noir. Also watched some of the Flight of the Conchords. Haven't seen it all yet but was more than a little surprised that I could hear the accent - not at all unpleasant but strange!

No comments: