Saturday, August 02, 2008

Meet my new love

She's not wearing all her finery (still some accessories to come) but this weekend I picked up the bike! She is a Honda Shadow Aero 750 and, in what may seem startling, she isn't black! Actually the Aeros have a great retro look and I fell in love with this colour combination - there are other colours you can play with if you follow the link in the post (okay this is quite possibly something only I am interested in). You don't actually get to test ride here so I purchased her on the back of alot of research! Marcia drove me over to Sunnyvale (about 1.5hrs away) on her Yamaha VStar 1100, then she took me on a fanastic ride through the mountains/forest and down along the coast - about 1.5hrs. It was way more scenic and, quite possibly, less dodgy than the 17. This is the first brand new vehicle I have ever owned and so I have to break her in - which mostly involves making sure not to rev her to full throttle and change gears alot. It was the perfect first ride and I wouldn't have known how to do it. I'm very grateful to Marcia as following someone made it so much easier, I could concentrate on the bike.......not figuring out which turns to take. The motorcycle safety course really paid off. I had thought I might feel more nervous but felt relaxed and the bike is very easy to ride. Needless to say I am more than a little happy!
On Friday I moved into my new house. It's lovely, easy and bachy. It only took two carloads (although I felt that seemed like way more stuff than I should have!). I have made some effort and done some little homey things (new linen being one notable moment) and some other little things. Really I need Karen to come and visit - help me add some personal touches.......I get the theory, just not very good at implementation.
Decided not to get a TV but will go and get a monitor for the laptop so I can watch movies and online TV if I want to. Funny, in NZ I watched alot of TV.......I've just lost the moment here. I like being able to pick and choose online. I will have a room mate two nights a week. I've picked up Michelle's room mate, one of the professors from the University. Lives in San Fran but comes down here two days a week. It's a nice middle ground, not full time but some help with bills and easy company.
Work is still busy. Even though I was moving on Friday morning I still had the laptop on and was responding to calls. I've been getting some nice feedback so (while it is good for the ego) it has me feel I am able to do the job and be successful at it.
Michelle's back, briefly, before heading to LA. I've had dinner with her and Marcia a couple of times and will miss ME when she goes. Still LA isn't far and all going well Marcia and I will be able to make a bike trip down to see her before the summer is out.
Okay long post, I've been holding off waiting to share the bike.
PS - wow crap weather in NZ.......looking and sounding more like an US East Coast winter.......yikes!

No comments: