Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Life under an, almost, Obama Govt

Well it's fair to say I am, mostly, surrounded by folks who are desperately excited and relieved that Obama won.  I'm also surrounded by some who are hugely impacted (dare I say humbled) by the change in their economic fortunes.  My pick is this, Obama will spend much of the next four years navigating the economic times...he will, most likely, do okay.  Come the next election most will be sympathetic that much of his social agenda got stalled....and give him another chance.  But then, perhaps, that is my natural optimism.  Either way politically it's a fantastic time to be living here.
On a more mundane level work remains the dominant thing in my life.  Not a bad thing as I am enjoying some quite lovely and unexpected moments.  I have a team of nine and that brings its challenges as they are, without exception, smart, engaging, clever and challenging.  The theory of managing a high performing team and then actually having one - well, it keeps me honest. I've developed (I think) an honest and supportive relationship with my new boss.  On a lovely note I've also kept in touch with my old boss.  At this stage, despite the economic times, I don't think I am about to lose my job and, if I do, I will survive it.   I don't take anything for granted nor feel complacent - when you have job you can't worry about not having a job, just do a good job (or the best you can) and then roll with whatever happens.  
I have done a little socializing.  Stepping back into my other world.  Went to a friends beach house for dinner and wine tasting on Saturday night....very nice and a mix of funny, entertaining and engaging folk.  Stayed over and it would have been even lovelier if I hadn't got a 730am work call that had me race back home to sit in front of my computer for 6hrs.  Oh well, I guess it's what I choose to do!
Plans for the family visit are finalized and tickets for Xmas booked - all of which is making me very happy!

No comments: