Sunday, November 06, 2011

NY NY....marathon memories

The other day I got a text from Michelle reminding me that this time last year I was running the NYC Marathon.....wow. Actually when she sent the text it wasn't quite today but Rose had arrived from NZ, we had our housewarming at Halloween and Rose and I flew out for NY on the Thursday. I've just read back through the November 2010 posts (this is why the blog is fab, it's my online journal!). I still grin from ear to ear when I think about crossing that line. Training for that marathon and deciding to do more fundamentally changed my life here and, clearly, set a path for my health and welling being! I think too it's brought a whole bunch of different types of folks into my life and opened me up to engaging differently with people. I can tend towards reclusiveness (caving), running is essentially a solo thing for me....but then I've pushed myself into volunteering and now chat randomly with strangers about it so connections are made along the way. I am still working at finding some running buddies. I keep thinking joining a club is a good idea but then feel overwhelmed by the obligation it brings. Negotiating runs with one or two people feels vastly easier than fitting into a club running schedule. All excuses I know but valid enough to hold me back. I still haven't found an ultra marathon coach. I am not sure why this is proving so difficult....and no I don't accept it's because I'm not supposed to do it!

No comments: