Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Of CVs and resumes

Okay okay I have accepted I do need to get a job! I've also accepted that, despite my best efforts, my CV ain't nothing like what's required to get past base one in the US of A. My work experience is fine, the way I present it isn't. Oh and CVs here are resumes................nobody knows what a CV is. So I've invested in getting by resume professionally written (this is a booming business here, complete with associated qualifications and annual award ceremonies). Did some research and chose one of the big players - they actually guarantee you will get interviews within 4 to 6 weeks of using your re.written resume (now that's a powerful promise!). So I've completed my initial free review (by telephone with someone in New York) then signed on to the full monty - complete with 8 page questionnaire, facts and figures abound and, in two weeks, I get a winning resume (written by someone in Texas) - or I better or I will be grumpy. We shall see.
On a different note, Houghton Bay goes on the market this month and will, all things going nicely, be sold early March. HB really was my best attempt at participating in "home making" (a long way from the Brown House for those in the know). Now I hunger for more simplicity - okay a semi-furnished studio apartment, preferably with a gym somewhere and no need to buy a whole bunch of stuff I don't know what to do with anyway. K has promised to provide some interior design assistance - I think in the interests of ensuring that I don't actually end up in something resembling the Brown House. On the upside, this is all very possible as I have been able to check out some places on the net......on the downside - hmmm there isn't one at this point. All contingent on finding a job of course.
Still a heap of snow on the ground, still painting the bunkhouse and still working towards going to San Fran (patience patience as we will the stars to align - or something equally cosmic).

No comments: