Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy halloween

Halloween has to be my favourite US holiday! Grown-ups and kids alike dress-up and there are some very fab holiday candies to be had. After work I met Michelle and we walked down to the Santa Cruz diner (standard diner fare but fresher than most I suspect). We then wandered down onto the main street of Santa Cruz and mingled with the steadily growing crowd of costumed folk. The main street was completely blocked off and I expect it's all going to get very messy later in the evening. The police were out in force and travelling in gangs of five! There really were some impressive costumes though. Walking to the diner we spotted a few very cute kids out trick or treating too. All very fun and home by 930pm.
I had my final motorcycle class on Saturday and we sat our practical test. I was more nervous than I thought I would be but passed - not everyone did which was a bit sad. Now all I have to do is sit the written test with the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), hand over my passing certificate and I get my full license. It's not like NZ, here (if you haven't done the safety course) you get a learners permit and can ride any size bike you like. Last I knew in NZ you couldn't ride anything over a 250cc on a learners license, here they don't care. On a learners permit you can't ride on the freeway or at night but they don't care what size bike you are on. Overall I thought the course was really well done and I learnt alot. Extra bonus is doing the course gets me a discount on insurance when I get the bike.
Last night I also had my first California earthquake experience. It was 5.6 and really did make the house shake. People here really hate them and several asked if it was my first experience of an earthquake, I laughingly pointed out all of NZ is on a fault line and we learn what to do in an earthquake at school (or we did, I assume kids still do). Apparently only CA kids learn about earthquakes........I guess kids in Florida and the like learn what to do when hurricanes and tornadoes hit.

No comments: