Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lost in space

No I am not yet lost but life has certainly taken giant leaps and bounds. Dating has turned into a girlfriend and has coincided with starting the new job (although she didn't come with the contract and, no, I didn't meet her at work).
Work wise I am into my first week and have been offered the "opportunity" to present some enhancements to the way communications is currently working with one of the groups in the program. I am getting a fantastic handover from the woman I am replacing (who is off to another project) - it's a shame, we make a good team and I think we could do a great double act. I am learning a whole new language (not only where IT is concerned) but in a business sense. It would seem the "net net" of some discussions are that we have "crisp" communications and much better to refer to peoples diaries as "schedules or calandars".......but these are minor things. The project (which is really a program of activities) is damn big (well the companies damn big) and I have a role in one of the streams of work - this suits me perfectly as I am learning alot watching the "bigness" of it roll out. I have found the most fantastic rideshare person who is happy to work to my timetable and we laugh and chat alot, which is good as most days she picks me up at 645am and I don't get home again until 6pm.......it is about an hour commute. At least I am not driving. Of course I now have a regular 730am meeting and one late one as well.........that is a long day. Language is proving to be a strange thing and understanding what people actually mean - I guess NZ is the same, everything is "coded". I'm pretty direct when I work but have been pausing to get some sense of the culture of the organization and to figure out if what I hear is what people actually mean! Still on balance I am enjoying it and will enjoy it more when I get my first pay packet.
Alongside this I am having a very nice social time having met a very nice Canadian girrrl. She lives nearer to San Fran - hence the weekends out of Santa Cruz and why I have learnt so much about public transport. Last weekend we had a very happy time taking Sharon's (there a name at last) 13 week old lab puppy to the dog park for the first time. This, of course, delights me as I love having Goldfish (the cat) around but have missed dogs since Misha. It's also delightful that Maddie (Madelaine) isn't mine so I get all the upside!
The net net of this is that I am very happy although realise that if I stick with the job I will have to move as Santa Cruz is a tough commute and the road I actually have to travel on is legendary for being dangerous (people do love to share) - although so far I've only seen minor smashes.
Bike course starts this week - YAY.

No comments: