Sunday, December 30, 2007

Xmas week

I have had a lovely Xmas week. I've been staying in Walnut Creek and working remotely (although infrequently). Xmas day we had some of Sharon's friends over and Alex joined us at midday. Mid afternoon we had a plumbing crisis so I found myself under the kitchen sink repairing the plastic pipes (well trying to rejoin them) and laughing hysterically with Lydia. Crisis averted we sat down to Xmas dinner, including crackers, bought by Michelle. They don't do crackers here as that is a strictly British tradition. Trivia fact, crackers were invented by a London confectioner who based them around bonbons he saw in Paris. Originally he just sold bonbons then he realized that they sold best at Xmas so he developed the cracker! In the evening the others played cranium and Sharon and I lounged around laughing (we played the next day - it really is one of the few board games I do like).
Later in the week we went and watched Charlies War. A drama based on Texas congressman Charlie Wilson's covert dealings in Afghanistan, where his efforts to assist rebels in their war with the Soviets have some unforeseen and long-reaching effects. I really enjoyed it but then I like my political dramas! We also went to see Juno. This was really really good. It's about a young girl who gets pregnant - sounds awful but it's funny and insightful.
I had my biggest birthday treat on the 29th with Sharon taking me to Osmosis, a spa in Sonoma. As an added treat we also stopped at an antique shop that boasts the largest military museum (privately owned)! At the spa we started with a Cedar Enzyme Bath. This was amazing. You literally lay down in heated wood chips that are then heaped on top of you. It really is fantastic........even if it sounds odd! We then had a full body massage followed by the best facial I've ever had. It was an unexpected treat.
Back to work for the second half of next week then back full time the following week. I hope everyone's had a lovely break (well I guess it still is the summer holidays there).

No comments: