Friday, April 04, 2008

Bocce Ball and the life of a new immigrant


I know I haven’t really posted many photos but here is one that has some of my work colleagues and at least one or two who are becoming friends. We had an afternoon of Bocce Ball. What is Bocce Ball? Yeah right, a cultural moment, I had no idea. At first I thought it must be some form of indoor soccer……long story short it is much like Petanque. BB is Italian, Petanque is French. Go figure. NZ took up Petanque not BB; cultural moment. Although a far better cultural moment, and much funnier, was being at the lunch prior and ordering a “Cheddar Burger”……..that the waitress heard, repeatedly (as did my work colleagues), as “Cheetah Burger”. Post actually being able to make my order someone asked if we ate Cheetah in NZ. I assured them we did but that it was expensive, as we had to import it. This, readers, is the life of an immigrant and I speak English, thank you very much!

No comments: