Sunday, March 30, 2008

Taxes, passports and other things

Happy daze - I appear to have successfully completed my first US tax return. Actually it's two returns, one Federal and one State. Tax here is a nightmare to figure out. The only reason I was able to do it myself is because I really only worked the last three months of the year so was below the threshold that allowed me to file for free using an online service provider recommended by the IRS. It also helped that I didn't have anything complicated to declare. All turns out nicely as it seems I get tax refunds on tax I've already paid. Of course I'm also eligible for the tax payer "handout" as part of the "Stimulus Package". All of which isn't quite what it appears as when you read the fine print it is actually a debit against next years tax.....so for people like me whose income will increase beyond the threshold that gave me the credit in the first place - it's really just free money for a year. Not to be complained at but not quite the way it has been sold by the Bush government.
My passport also arrived, much to my relief. I'm fairly confident that, by virtue of it being a new passport that doesn't show my having arrived in the US....I will be stopped at the airport at least once when I fly out to Spain. I have been here just long enough to predict these things (or at least anticipate them) so I'll carry my old passport with me as well. Minor distraction - yay to Spain!
I am quietly, patiently waiting for things to change at work. I've got an opportunity to move onto a new program but really need the blessing of the Executive who is leading the program I am currently on.......at this stage he is reluctant to let me go. My contract is up at the end of April (and easily renewable) but we tried to wrangle it so I could go early and someone back fill. Nope - he wants me to stay and stay after April. Although I can go anytime I want in reality it's better all round if I can go without alienating anybody. He's promised some changes that I might like.....actually I know the changes he is referring to (and know that they haven't actually been discussed with him yet) and I'm not sure he will buy them, nor that they change much in my world. Sigh - in the past I expect I might have been somewhat more agressive about the whole thing. But the world changes (and so have I) so I am working behind the scenes and staying very quiet while others work things out on my behalf. Sometimes it's just best to shut my mouth and trust in the knowledge and experience of those that are older and wiser......either way I am not going to be unemployed and that is a good thing!

No comments: