Monday, November 22, 2010

Dinner parties

Riotous - last night we went to dinner at the landlords who live above "us".  They are hospo folk and entirely lovely and fab fun. BUT they think/assume Irene and I are a couple (or at  least we think they do), which is just riotous.  There were 10 of us all up at dinner, it was a "straight" affair and all couples.  Nobody actually asked us outright but it was most definitely implied!  It had the two of us in hysterics as it has been a long time since either of us have felt "coupled".  Irene, of course, couldn't resist a couple of moments of implied coupledom, noting that I really should be taking her to visit NZ etc.
It was a very personable crowd with another kiwi there as well (who has this hybrid Aussie/kiwi accent going as she did her degree and post grad education in Australia).  Turns out she does body work so I am going to book a session with her to keep myself on track to be able to run the three marathons I have planned for next year (what was that about outrageous goals.....).  The wine was nothing short of fantastic as two of the guests are the wine suppliers to Mohamad and Marmee's restaurant.  I was (as often happens) accosted by the child.......I don't know, it's a height size thing, so spent sometime in her bedroom with the toys.  They also have the cutest little baby boy, who Irene spent time entertaining.
Interesting insight from Irene "OMG you are so exotic, these people so want to engage you about NZ".........after my having to go through several rounds of "NZ is just the most wonderful place".   The notion of my being exotic is even more hilarious as I am the white colonizer with not an ounce of exotic in me.  

2 comments:

unPC lesbian said...

and the menu was?

Jody said...

Range of yummy cheeses followed by iceberg lettuce with beans and mozzarella. Main of fried chicken (lightly done) with macaroni (omg yum yum yum) and asparagus, finishing with a lemon pie thing and port......bliss.