Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Short weeks and stuff

I am now in the second of three short weeks, yippee.  Today I have been out buying 4th of July decorations for a client event I have organized......well actually it's just a breakfast thing for the team....this is what life back in the land of comms looks like.  I will take pics of the decos though as I found the whole thing entertaining to say the least!
The weekend ended up being pretty quiet, for a bunch of reasons, although I enjoyed it.  Pride is a bit hit or miss for me I think and this year, well, a miss - or perhaps it all just feels too familiar; thousands of folk drinking/drugging, dancing in the streets in various stages of undress and general untidiness.  Just didn't hit a nerve for me this year.  Instead I enjoyed some quiet pleasant time, particularly on Sunday when Irene, Michelle and I took Lotte walking on the beach then went shopping for furniture for the new house and then into Chinatown for a late lunch.  Chinatown was particularly blissful as all the tourists etc were watching the parade three blocks away.  It's a rare moment to be able to traverse the streets with ease.  I think Pride was also a miss for me this year as I am more into running, house buying, work, small more intimate fun times with friends.....daily life that doesn't really map to big dance parties.  Although no judgement on those that do, so much as recognizing I am ambivalent.
House continues to progress.  Lots and lots and lots of paper work involved.  Yay to having an accountant, yay to getting a mortgage with the Bank you actually belong to and yay to being able to sign docs online. Oh and yay to being able to afford it in an environment that does make it tough to access credit. Nothing is done until it is done but we are marching rapidly towards settlement date.  In the interim neither Irene nor I can quite believe that we are, it would seem, about to buy a house in San Francisco.
Work is making some changes with the team being restructured.  All okay for me.....apart from that thing about being comms girl again.....still I might get some other responsibilities too.
Katy has done her Ironman and it was very fun to watch her progress online (they post various stats as racers cross certain points in the course) and also to be able to visualize where she might be on the course.  She has also been sharing "tales of the road" and it always has me ponder how tough I might prove (or not) to be when I hit similar pain points on the journey to and ultimately through the ultra-marathon.

No comments: