Monday, September 25, 2006

Living the life


It’s been a few days since I have been online – the joys of rural remote living and upgrading of internet providers. In the interim I have been busy. Working with one of the part time staff I have painted one building (yellow) and start painting the barn this week (and yes it will be red and has seen me learning how to use a cherry picker). Also helped with stacking hay bales……..heavy suckers but lots of chuckles along the way. The scenery here continues to take my breath away and living at 6500ft keeps the lungs going. B tells me this is the cleanest air in America, it’s not hard to believe. Overall I am fitter than when I arrived, have a healthy tan and have lost some weight – it’s the simple things that keep me happy!
Found my first job to apply for which did give me cause for a minor panic attack and crisis of confidence. Soon past as I start to look around at just how much work is out there – the right job will come and every now and then I need to remind myself that I haven’t actually been here very long.
Have travelled to Albuquerque and Santa Fe several times – both an hour either side of Zorro. The architecture here is very distinctive and reflects the desert like quality of the place. Everyone seems to drive around in bigger than big vehicles and I’ve driven B’s dodge ram a couple of times (leaping up into the cab can be the biggest hurdle). Seen no snakes yet but coyotes, antelope, little ratty things, blue birds and an 11 pointer stag (see am getting the lingo).
Random point of interest – anyone who was interested in reading the 911 Commission Report (yes I am that geek who read it) but felt overwhelmed by the size of the document can now get the comic book version. Yep two guys figured that what the report says is important for the average American but most people couldn’t/wouldn’t wade through the whole report. Actually it sounds terrible but the extract I saw was pretty good. Where they can they have used the actual text from the report and wrapped it around the cartoon………..welcome to America.

1 comment:

Majik Lantern said...

I see the golfing handicap can still play havoc with the driving ...