Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I have a job

Yes it’s true – I am about to officially re.join the ranks of the gainfully employed……..well paid employment that is! I am contracting to TechProse who have me consulting in a project for CISCO. I am embarrassed to say I didn’t have much of a clue who CISCO were……….but ignoring that detail – honestly I didn’t know much about Treasury before I worked there either – the project is BIG (like 400 people on it), complex, involves systems/processes/culture change. WOW – yes it’s back in communications (I am never ever saying I am giving it up again, my credibility is shot). I had no less than four interviews – two telephone, two face to face and at each turn got more and more excited – I’m as shocked as anyone to have discovered that I might not be done with this comms lark! It just became irresistible. Logistically the commute is a little complicated as I live in Santa Cruz and the job is in San Jose (Silicon Valley) which is about an hour commute north of here and another half hour to CISCO…….but I can most likely get in on a car pool. It’s happening fast………if my background check goes through quickly I start on Monday.....It's initially a three month contract and we go from there (I of course have plans to make myself indispensible).
I am still going to finish the book but it is no longer a full time task and really the time has come to get a job. It has me feel like I am moving onto the next stage of settling in here. I really am feeling very much like this is where I belong.
And on that note I have met a whole new group of very very fun people and launched into "dating" - such a different world. Last weeks mixer was a very fun "eye opener" into queer San Fran. The pool party (which was actually in Walnut Creek about 30mins north of San Fran) was great fun and included a few of the people I had met the night before (and was hosted by the person who took me to the mixer). There was also a very lovely spa pool, reminding me of the Auckland days. Michelle came too which was really nice (it's lovely to have her back and watch her settle into her new little house).
In the interests of expanding my education I also found myself sitting near three guys on the greyhound bus who had recently been released from prison. One was so excited he couldn't sit still in his seat and aspired to nothing more than a $6 hamburger - all three seemed happy to share their excitement with at least half the bus. I did say travelling by greyhound was an adventure didn't I?

No comments: