Sunday, June 29, 2008

California fires and other things

I think the CA fires have been reported in the NZ news - they really are big and the air quality is pretty awful. There is a haze over San Jose and Santa Cruz and yesterday the smell of smoke was really strong. At least two of the people I work with had their homes threatened and firefighters are still trying to get them all under control. Worse yet on Friday I walked out the door to find three fire engines at the house across the road; smoke pouring out of the house and a terrible acrid smell..........at the time I thought it smelt familiar and, sure enough, 10mins later they pulled a car out of the garage. Damn thing was on fire (no one in it I might add), not quite sure how that happens but reminded me of when the peugeot went caught fire when I was driving it in Wellington during peak hour traffic! No real loss at the time, didn't like that car much but it was quite a dramatic way to get rid of it.
Come Monday I will have a car for a month as Michelle heads back to NZ before returning to move to LA in August. She's busy packing "my house", or at least the house I am moving into in August. Yesterday I sat around and watched TV at her house (a novelty for me) while she packed.......very generous don't you think! I did go buy us dinner so wasn't entirely unhelpful.
I forgot to mention this but a few weekends back I went with Michelle and her friend to Castroville (the home of the artichoke and where Marilyn Munroe was crowned Artichoke Queen at some point). We went to a dance bar, the novelty being Castroville is predominantly mexican so the bar played all mexican music. Their was also a drag show all done in Spanish (Barcelona revisited). Later in the evening I even got over my shyness about dancing - although why anyone thinks they can get me up onto a nearly empty dance floor is beyond me.....once it filled up and I could hide in the crush I felt much more relaxed. It was a fun night, we danced late and laughed alot.
Work is still busy and I finally got to meet my boss (Kathy) in person, which was very nice. Monday night I went to dinner with her boss and two others from the team then Wednesday stayed in San Jose later to have drinks and snacks with Kathy and some others from our team. Very social time and long days. Michelle gave me her car as well so at least I didn't have to catch the bus.
Things coming up: serious bike shopping. All going well come the end of July I will share a photo of my new purchase and be able to spend sunny, hot weekends touring the surrounding area and reacquainting myself with the joys of motorcycling! 4th of July next weekend so I am going to go down to the beach and watch all the fireworks. Michelle says it gets crazy and last year I was at the ranch so missed the beach part. Might see if I can get some pictures to share.

2 comments:

jopatkiwi said...

jody is this the way to reach you??? please confirm.

Time to plan our next trip -a golfing holiday in palm springs. Care to join us? April 2009

Jody said...

Well yes this is one way to contact me, lol. You know I think golf is something that you do just before you die (and someone near and dear did once point out I wouldn't like golf as I wouldn't be good at it straight away..couldn't fault the insight). That said if we are talking about golfing in warm climes with like minded people, send the details! Giant 1 has my email address - I'll drop an email to you too, let the funtimes begin!