Monday, June 02, 2008

Girls...and boys in frocks

Went to the NCLR dance on Saturday night in San Fran. Several things of note. First, there were 100s of women......the place was packed, second, apart from the two women I went with (one I met on the night), I knew no one (so nice to be anonymous!), third I need to revise the idea that I don't dance, apparently I do and quite alot. It was a great night starting with a very fine Thai dinner at a very cool bar/restaurant called Koh Samui and the Monkey Bar - says it all really. I stayed in a hotel near Union Square and managed to get a ride back to Santa Cruz so didn't have to Bart (subway), Caltrain (train) and Highway 17 (bus) back.
Landed in Santa Cruz and headed to meet Michelle and her friend at Santa Cruz Gay Pride. A year ago Michelle and I had wandered around and watched the entertainment - what a difference a year makes. Most notably, nothing surprised me and there were some "interesting" outfits to see.
I am still loving the job - it's insanely busy during the day and I have learnt the art of sending emails, while sitting in on a meeting, while instant messaging. I'm not sure if it is more or less efficient to work this way but they sure know how to maximise time. Best of all I am now only physically in the office three days a week (although spend 80% of my day in meetings....so never feel lonely).
Because I could and because I no longer have to buy furniture I have been on a little shopping spree. Most notably and with all the geekiness that comes with it; I brought myself a Kindle. It is Amazon's electronic book.....so far I love it. You can download sample chapters of books and then buy the whole book and it arrives in seconds (it runs off its own wireless system so as long as I have coverage I can buy anytime and read offline). I can subscribe to newspapers/magazines and they have free newsites. Nice feature - it has a dictionary so when I come across a word I don't know I can look it up. It's fun and a nice size...I like it.
I still don't consider myself to be a techo girl but feel strangely drawn to electronic gadgets at the moment. I got myself a speaker for my Ipod too; no I don't care to have an Iphone. Mostly because you can only access service by AT&T and their coverage is not as good as Verizon. Except when you are on the Ranch!

No comments: