Saturday, June 14, 2008

Well geeze.........time flys

I am having a great time; really enjoying my new job and getting out and about a bit. Hours are proving to be long but interesting. I have definitely landed in the hot seat! Expectations are high (which freaks me out a little) and we are at a difficult time in the program. Still my boss is letting me change things and is very supportive. I will, for the first time, get to meet her when she comes to San Jose later in the month. We speak at least once a day by phone and instant message throughout the day. I have to say being able to IM people works well when you want instant answers but also generates a whole other layer of work! My team IM during the day as well and sometimes you can have three conversations going at once. The only time we all come together face-to-face is on Tuesday when I have my team meeting. Surprisingly I am really enjoying running a team again......for the first meeting I introduced them to "biscuits" as opposed to cookies - little cultural moment for everyone. Biscuits here are something entirely different.

Two weekends ago Michelle and I headed into San Jose on Sunday to see my roomates digital arts and media show. Maragretha's masters show,The birds, the bees the flowers and the seeds looks at war and nature, and the similarities between the way war functions and how nature operates. She had set up a garden (see the sketch right) that you walk through and included military objects and flowers. As you walk around you trigger commentary about nature and war........it was very complex and fascinating. You get to pick up objects and could toss poppy pods across a stylized wire fence - much like tossing a hand grenade. It was very clever and, compared to some of the other student work, was much more challenging in how it presented the ideas. It was my first real insight into her work. There were some other clever presentationts too. The Human Morality Index was a website where you get to invest based on "vice trading", click on lust and see the stocks associated with it etc. It was very clever and took a real shot at free markets and trade.
This weekend I am doing nothing but lounging around......I am tired and home alone with Goldfish as M and her boyfriend are camping. I am loving the Kindle, it is prompting me to read more widely. Best feature is being able to download a sample chapter before you decide to buy the book!

No comments: