Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Kick start'n the week

The week has started out busy.  Although maybe I should give that up as a starting line as it seems all weeks are busy! 
Really enjoyed my run in Golden Gate Park on Saturday.  Kayley (who is the new running pal) also very cleverly mapped our run so that we finished back at the car at exactly the moment we reached our target distance…….excellent.  I was glad she was in charge as I haven’t spent a lot of time in GG Park so mostly had no idea where I was!  Afterwards we went out to lunch to a cute local café that is just around the corner from home – seems I need other people to show me these places as I spend too much time running past and not stopping.
Sunday it was rainy and yuck and between the 13 mile run on Friday and 4 miles on Saturday I hurt my knee, so no charity run on Sunday (although they did still get the donation).  I lounged around and fretted a little about my knee (not running because I am slack is one thing, not running because I am injured is quite different!).  In the evening Irene and I headed out to dinner in Japan Town then off to see Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.  Interesting movie with great visuals.  We went to a local eatery before the movie. Japan Town is excellent as it really does cater to the local Japanese community so there are lots of hidden little treasures to be found – really does remind me of the places I saw in Japan, albeit on a smaller scale.  Post the  movie we met Kayley at a local bar and enjoyed a Sunday night beer serenaded by a Mexican guy on a guitar (actually these guys rove around the local bars, sing a little, ask for donations and move on).  I am so out of touch with bar life here that I was more than a little amazed at the number of folk having a drink on a Sunday night (all very civilized but still a little startling).  Latish night so wasn’t overly excited to wake to the alarm on Monday morning!
Tonight I had my first run with “Ironman girl”.  Katie was determined to have us go running (she likes to run with pals as she finds it hard to motivate herself without someone else with her) so I took my  running gear to Sunnyvale and we headed out after work.  It was fun, we chatted and randomly ran around the streets of Sunnyvale.  Given it's flat it wasn't overly challenging and she didn't run hellishly fast so worked out fine for me.  We are going again tomorrow night (remembering too that she gets up in the morning and either swims or bikes so she's certainly committed to what she does).

No comments: