Friday, May 13, 2011

LA Bound

I'm off to spend the weekend with Michelle in LA......she is taking me shopping and has the route planned. Given my low tolerance for clothes shopping this is a VERY good thing.
Was chuckling yesterday at the irony of Michelle and I finding ourselves both in the US and living so near to one another.  20yrs or so ago we visited the US together for the first time, coming to see Karen and Brice in New York.  We spent a year saving, managing to save all of our student allowance in anticipation of the trip.  Michelle, as I recall, was flusher than I as she had been working on some research projects. I think I was a proof reader (yeah get that) at a community newspaper in Johnsonville!!!!!! It was a totally awesome trip as we trained from LA to NY (staying in Manhattan with K&B), visited Provincetown, Cape Code and Boston.  All things military fascinated me so we even went and visited West Point.  We trained down to New Orleans and I remember the French Quarter as being quite magical (unlike the last time I was there).  We then took the train to San Fran and had a couple of days in Hawaii.  It was a mega trip and the one where I decided I wanted to live and work in the US and here I be!
I'm working from home today because I have been to look at a possible two flat property to buy, literally two mins walk around the corner.  It has lots of possibilities.  Irene and I are off to the bank to chat about how much we can borrow.....might be some interesting times ahead.

No comments: