Sunday, July 08, 2012

Clocking the miles!

Big weekend for me, running wise.  Marathon's are now the new "long run" for the training plan.  I decided that for my 26 miler I would head into the Marin Headlands - it's kind of hard to map a 26 mile run in a city that is 7 x 7 miles.  Thinking I was being clever (yes we know how that usually turns out). I tapped into the North Face Challenge Marathon route.  The first part of the  marathon route is actually the 10k I ran in 2009......my first race.  It was all very vivid in my mind as I contemplated how far the last few years had taken me.  The marathon route is hardcore, here's the Garmin view:
But the real telling point has to be the elevation chart below.  If you think my best marathon is 4:31hrs on the road, this took me a little over 6hrs!
I gotta say though the whole thing was beautiful:
Climbing through the mist                 


 Finally reaching the top

Dropping down to sea level, to climb again

 Heading down to the beach
 Some stairs to help along the way
And the trail leading me back to my car
It was great fun and tough and I felt very very happy, exhausted and elated at the end! Best of all - Irene (rightly) realized that I hadn't actually planned my dinner post the "marathon" so arrived down to mine with some yummy salmon, salad and potatoes (nothing ever tasted so good!).  No rest for the wicked though, today I had to follow it all up with a 10miler, kind of felt like a relief to "only" have to do 10!
I am still on the bench for work so last week did some training and went to a pool party for the 4th of July - low key.  Best thing though, I have a new career counsellor for work.  Mine is leaving so it's the perfect opportunity to switch to Davin, who recruited me to ACN.  Very happy!!!!

No comments: