Saturday, October 13, 2012

Moments in time

See the rollie thing
 Now that you've seen the photo stream I'll share a particular moment.  At some point after Katy joined me I became aware that I had some very acute pain in my right leg (wth, this is my GOOD leg).....Katy quickly noted it was my IT band and that we needed to stretch it out.  And that's exactly what happened as we approached the next checkpoint she ran ahead and told the team I needed the mat (I had thought to bring that ..... both Katy and Marcia had thought to bring the rollie thing I needed as well).
The team rolled out the "yoga" mat on the side of the road, seriously, just inside the white line at the edge of the road, all very safe, or at least I think it was....that's why you have a team, they make good decisions as you have to step up and make them happen.

I then had to do the equivalent of a "plank"....shades of Case in the day of  the gym session
It was incredibly painful.....hugely painful but I knew if I didn't do it I wouldn't finish.................
It  
Katy also did THE most painful massage I've ever had. I'm not sure I would have taken this from anyone else, I really really wanted to smack her, it was so painful I seriously had to restrain myself.  I've seen Katy tough out some incredible moments.....I sucked it up and went with it
At some point I'd done as much as I could and I was able to keep running
The strain shows. I am not sure it's clear but my hands are swollen I'd been watching it happen as we progressed.  In my mind I think at this point I know I have a ways to go and I've just got to keep going....... the day has dawned and there are far less miles to go than those that have been run.......if you can't think like that the you'll never finish.  It comes down to 10 miles, six miles, 1 mile......you've run 40 already, this is nothing........get.it.done.
It's not all glamor out there.......

No comments: