Monday, June 17, 2013

Working life

The last few weeks have been big and busy.  Coming back from surgery and landing in the thick of it.  My first year as a senior manager is all but done.  Really we are an up or out culture so now I have to do all the things that would have me be positioned to be a managing director (partner).  Yikes, I really can't decide if I am into that.  Right now a lot of what I do is "delivery"; put things on the ground and make them happen.  MDs do "sales".  It's not as sleazy as it sounds but I will have to find the love for it to actually want to do it!  Davin, my forever mentor, is teaching me how it works.  There are big numbers involved and a whole lot of behaviors I don't yet understand.  I guess it's complicated and easy all at the same time.
My team has grown to 6, which doesn't sound like much but I think I might be the largest team on the project.
Oh best thing this week.  It was the Prom (the yearly celebration we have across the company that has a very swanky party at a nice venue with great food etc etc).  This year it didn't all quite stack up.  Sharene and I have been busy and still have busyness planned.  She couldn't come to the Prom because she was working and I didn't much feel like going (it's still work after all). But the folks from my last project had a "reunion" before the Prom. So I went to the before party.  You should all know my brand is mostly "doesn't show up".  In my defense I never say I will from the outset.  I got a bunch of messages asking if I was going so decided I would.  It was great fun to see everyone, laugh alot and hear what they are doing.  It was also lovely that they asked about Sharene and were genuinely disappointed she wasn't there.  It really is nice when you build working relationships where you are more than the job.
Counting the days to Hawaii.....taking this Thursday off and heading to Monterey with Sharene and the kids - whale watching and the aquarium, bliss.

No comments: