Sunday, July 22, 2007

Job interview and other stuff

So it's been an interesting week! I had the most fantastic breakthrough in writing, managing to peel off an entire chapter in a day. I've left it a few days and re.read it - I like it.
I've also been preparing for the FA job interview. I really do like the sound of the job and do get that it's not exactly an easy choice. Still I'll take the interview practice, test out the new me with a new view of the world. I've decided to let go of that "too many people and I'll die" view of the world I had. I just need new ways of getting downtime. I'm happy to let go of those little boxes I created around myself - it does open up a whole new set of possibilities. Of course flying out to the interview is a little complicated. It's a one day turn around trip and there is no shuttle service for the times I am flying, which means a night in San Jose either way. I've only ever driven through SJ and it doesn't look particularly interesting - they bill themselves as the only city in Silicon Valley.......as a consequence they seem to have turned downtown into a concret jungle - but I might be being uncharitable given I've never even walked down the main street. I'm on a 630am flight so needless to say I am staying close to the airport, although its not a very big city anyway.
Went out and had pizza and beer with a local woman I met here and we might be going hiking in the Santa Cruz hills at some stage. She has lived here for a while so is very much a local and knows alot about Santa Cruz. It's a bit like Nelson, it seems the money coming in is, in someways, changing the community and not all for the good.
I pre.ordered Harry Potter so have been reading that. I've avoided any of the publicity about it so as not to ruin the story.
Best yet I've enrolled in a motorcycle safety course. They provide the bike and the helmet so that's good. It's not until October - I don't think there are any other classes before then as it is summer break here. It does give me time to do the written test and, finally, get my California drivers licence. When you move into a state you always need to get a licence for that state (not that I have one at all) so it's about time I got my act together. Not thinking about buying a car at all.........very committed to the bike as I'd like to do the touring thing and maybe join a club of some sort. Nice to meet people with like minded interests. Brice has pointed out that the Harley's come with a ready made family - that's quite achieveable but, as I said to him, I'm worried about how often they breakdown. I have not a mechanical bone in my body and being stranded in the middle of nowhere (okay probably with access to a tow truck) doesn't hold much appeal. Not sure I am a harley girl anyway but have been looking at this. No not in white before you ask and I would get it fully kitted with windshield and saddle bags. It's very affordable and I don't look like a midget on wheels........yes my feet can sit flat on the ground. It's classed as a "starter bike" and seems to be one lots of woman get. Read a review from a woman who was 5" and she was very enthusiastic saying once she got more confident the weight isn't a problem at all..........these things are important if one isn't to be seen dropping the damn thing.......as one woman said she did - but she had forgotten to put her feet down at the lights. Apparently not as rare as you might think, for men and woman.
Weather here is fantastically hot and endlessly sunny - no summer showers here to cool the afternoon.
Anyway one way or another it's going to be a big week!

No comments: