Saturday, March 08, 2008

Busy times

Work is insanely busy as we head into a big IT roll out. We had a "final practice run" last week as "we" are taking down the IT systems for 54hrs. Every four hours the comms team have to put out a status update to business owners. Yep we do shifts and yep it means putting them out at midnight, 2am and 6am......and through the day. Because the practice run was during the week we did shifts and worked during the day. I'm clearly not as young as I used to be! Got to the end of the week and was shattered. The actual event happens next weekend. Because things could go wrong and we need to be physically on the ground for some of it I'll be staying at a hotel in San Jose for the weekend, work my shifts and be on call to come in. Although I have to be in the office for the last ten hours..or whenever it finishes. Yes I volunteered as I created the "plan" for the weekend. I think it fair to say this type of communications work (IT roll outs) isn't my favourite. I much prefer the corporate "mergers, acquisitions" stuff. Still it's another string to the bow and given I am working in Silicon Valley does open other doors.
Daylight saving started on Sunday so that puts paid to the dark days of winter and rain (I hope).
Now here is an irritating thing. I have to renew my passport and, just to make it complicated, I only have the choice of sending it to London or NZ. I was really surprised. I honestly thought the Consulate in the US would be able to do it. Nope! Currently I am passportless so should I suddenly be offered the trip of a lifetime - I can't go. Actually I don't like being passport less. Years ago I dated someone who was obsessive about having their passport with them (okay that's the way I heard it!). The theory being they could jump on the plane at any time. I thought it showed a lack of commitment to anyone or anything........geeze less judgement and more thought - suddenly I "get it".

Here's my attempt at an "arty" picture.

No comments: