Monday, March 03, 2008

Not everyone gets shot in America

I've been following the news (as I do) and it seems that most often it looks like the whole of the US is shooting one another. For the record - it's not true. Although I must confess I have met one person who knew someone (well it was their sister) who works for the company that owned the shop in the mall where five or six people were shot a few weeks back (hearing that story was weird). Still I am surprised to discover that, while I regularly mocked the NZ media for reporting every little crime, the newspapers do it here too. And I am talking about the NY Times - go to the Metro Section and it's just like reading a NZ daily (except the distribution for the NY Times is in the millions). I guess community is as big or small as you make it!
Work is insanely busy and there are alot of "politics" going on - at which point I come into my own as "playing the game" (or perhaps I mean "a" game) would seem to be my bread and butter. The next three weeks promise to be very entertaining!
Had a lovely weekend spending a sunny afternoon on the deck of a work colleagues holiday house in Santa Cruz - drinking good wine and eating good food.......looking at the sea, chatting and laughing. Michelle came around on Sunday and we had a nice chat. She's just been awarded a very prestigious scholarship so she can research and write her book (and several other things) based on her dissertation. It's very grand and a wonderful acknowledgment of all her hard work. It does mean she has to move out of Santa Cruz for a while but will still be in California.

No comments: