Sunday, August 07, 2011

21 Miles.....done

Some days when I am out there pounding the pavement my body is....annoyed at me and my mind is constantly nagging me to give it up, filling up my head with "wtf, really? no way? this is so out of your reach".  Not today though, today my body took the pounding with good grace and my mind was happy to coach it along, full of good thoughts and good things!
It wasn't the most lovely of days, mist hung low over the GG Bridge (I not only went to Sausalito but turned around after I got there and promptly ran back....not all the way back just as far as I needed to hit 21miles, so about a mile and a half post coming off the bridge).  Rain threatened but never really came.  Why such a good run?  Today I discovered a little bit of magic that I haven't tried before.....GU Blocs (they are like sticky little gummy bears) every 40mins. What a difference it made to my overall feeling of well being.  While I can run a marathon on two GUs and water it seems it would be far more pleasant to run it on many more GU Blocs!
I also now know I've lived in SF just long enough to have become a (kind of) known character.  Post race I stopped on fisherman's wharf to get something to eat and this dude started chatting to me.  He asked if I had just came from Sausalito....turns out he remembered me from the ferry the last time (or maybe the time before) I ran to Sausalito and caught the ferry back.....as opposed to the new regime of running back!  Weirder still he is from New Mexico so we chatted away about where he had lived and I actually knew exactly where and could have a real convo with him about it too - schweet.
At least once during these longer runs someone calls out Roadie, this time some dude being helpful giving me the code to some locked bathrooms "hey Roadie.....", kinda schweet too!
 

No comments: