Monday, September 26, 2011

Moments in time

Well it's done. The goal, 3 marathons in the Calendar year. As it turns out it's 4 marathons in 12 months. I am happy to have done what I committed to do; set a goal and achieve it - not at all costs but done with the very best of intentions.
Along the way I've discovered some things.  I'm not a saint and never will be....I need colour and character in my life. To be an exceptional athlete would require more exception than I have. I'll get out there tho and live with my own flaws....many and vividly presented when the hurt comes and the mind is nagging. 
Berlin was not all I had hoped time-wise...not the worst run I've had but the most timely reminder that nutrition isn't to be ignored, that the mind is what carries you across the line long after the body has yelled stopped.  
The ultra, another opportunity to Learn more. I started thinking I could never run 10k...terrified by a half marathon and now thinking I should step it up....be braver and never forget the privilege of two feet, one foot in front of the other, on my terms. 

2 comments:

nzm said...

Congrats!

We hope that the recommended hotel was suitable, too!

Jody said...

Yes! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I had planned to write to say as much. It has been perfectly simple and lovely to stay here. I was disappointed by my performance in the marathon... Nothing to do with the marathon itself...just me. It was really very congested and I got somethings wrong (hydration & nutrition) but Berlin is grand. If you are ever in San Fran would love to meet up!