Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back from San Fran

Had a lovely time and really enjoyed meeting Robyn. Was somewhat shocked to discover that her and H have been together for two years and this is really the first time I have actually sat down and been able to chat to Robyn.......met her first at the website launch and then the lesbian ball in Auckland, neither of which provided much room to get to know one another - oh and she did remind me (without judgement) that I had also met her once when I was terribly hungover (does that sound like me.........alright not so much these days, did make me cringe a little though, personal angst nothing more). I guess I have been gone nearly a year so didn't get that much opportunity to meet her before. It was lovely to chat in an animated, rapid fire kiwi way. We wandered around the shops abit and went to MOMA - which wasn't that great as they didn't really have much on show and nothing particularly interactive. Still there were some nice gems including this. When you stand in the centre of the beam of light it's like you are cut off and disembodied heads and shoulders float through the light.......very cool.
Now this was very interesting.....well known, not that I knew it. "Indigo Blue" has around 18,000 items of blue cotton work clothing, folded and stacked on a "floating" steel platform.
At one end of the platform there is an old wood table and chair. A volunteer sits silently at the table, erasing pages of a book: "International Law Situations," a Naval War College publication pertaining to legally defined land and water boundaries. Originally completed in Charleston's if you are interested you can read more here. Just the sought of thing that appeals to me!
The Jazz bar proved to be a winner. We had a quick meal before then qued to get in - just as well we had tickets it was sold out. Robyn pointed out that the set up reminded her of NY, I thought so too. As we qued we could see them setting up the seating and tables (there was an early 7pm show, we went at 10pm). They have these tiny little round tables that you sit at, order a drink and the show gets underway. The woman at the door liked our accents so we got to sit at the front. A woman in the que took a shine to Robyn, which was very cute...........although Robyn was casually indifferent I have to say. Anyway Kim Nalley sang for around an hour and a half and was fantastic. Very engaged with the audience and told a little of Nina Simones history. I'd go back but think you need to pick the performance as the performance is the focus, so you have to be in to it.
Other than that at 6pm I found out my bus was fully booked so went back to the hotel I'd stayed in (which also proved to be an excellent choice, right near Union Square, clean and safe......combined with cheap). Nice man (I think he was Malaysian - I couldn't quite pick his accent but he was very friendly) at the desk remembered me, noted that New Zealand was where Lord of the Rings was made and gaven me a discount on a discounted room and one away from the traffic. All very nice. Caught the 630am bus back to Santa Cruz. Speaking of Greyhound, if you do come to the US and feel inclined to bus between cities (it is very cheap) it will be a "cultural experience". I've seen and heard the oddest people while busing! The worst part is the really really awful bus stations - guess that's why it's cheap.

No comments: