Monday, August 27, 2007

You have to wonder

The US Army is offering a "quick ship" bonus of $20k if new recruits will go to basic training within days of being accepted, rather than wait six months! The scary part is the recruiting targets are obviously really aggressive - one assumes that the "quick ship" then translates to quickly outta here and off to Iraq and Afganistan. I expect the next scandal will be "substandard recruits graduate basic training".
I have had a somewhat fruitless week - not really concentrating on much. Did go for a couple of nice walks with two woman I have met. One ending in a cafe on the beach where there was a group of about 20 ukulele players having a blast singing and strumming away. It felt all very "tropical island holidayish".
I've been looking into bike gear as well. Now well I don't consider that I am anything other than average height and hands and feet the appropriate size, motorcyle boot manufacturers have a different view. Karen and Brice has some excellent advice about this stuff as they have been touring for 20 years...........no wet feet for them nor clothing that isn't waterproof, and they've tested it in some conditions I hope never to find myself in. Obviously boots are really important but there are limited ranges in women's sizes and mine in particular! Also there's a difference between a riders boot (ie you're up front) and a passengers boot. Mostly about additional padding for gear changing. It looks like I am going to have to go for a BMW boot - label queen to the end I guess as the other better brands don't have my size and Karen and Brice assure me they have never had wet or cold feet! With my gimpy foot I can't really afford to have it get cold........and it is the one I change gears with. I have also resigned myself to the fact I will have to get my riding gear custom made - no way am I going to find anything off the shelf. Investigatings fun and the only thing I really need for the bike course in October are the boots. I could wear other boots but figure I have to get them anyway. Any excuse really.
Initial round of responses from publishers is good - more to come (I hope).
Much thinking and investigating going on around work (nothing re. FA job) as I watch the bank balance quietly bleed itself dry.

No comments: