Tuesday, August 14, 2007

San Francisco

I'm feeling like a blogging fiend this week, but have realised I'm not actually saying much about what I am doing. Well, happily, I am off to San Fran for an overnight stay on Saturday. Helen's g/f, Robyn, is in town for one night and I am to be the entertainment. Well she's probably more than able to entertain herself, so she's really my entertainment and a little touch of NZ! She wants to go and see some gallery's which is easy and is interested in Jazz. I've done a bit of hunting and booked us into Jazz at Pearls, which is described as a Jazz Club - no jeans or baseball caps allowed (that's what they say so I hope it is true). Best thing is on the night we are going Kim Nalley sings Nina Simone. Nope I don't know who Kim is............apart from the fact that she is described as "a winner of the prestigious "10 Most Influential African-Americans in the Bay Area" award, and this show is a must and a rare tribute." I've decided to trust the critics. I do know who Nina Simone is. Anyway it's all just a bit of a punt....if it's bad I won't be alone and if it's good all the better.
I'm off to sit my drivers license written test this week so that I can book a practical. Glad I read the road code; got some different rules here. I've also been looking at a possible rental for Michelle when she gets back from NZ ('tis very cute, I like it alot).
Funnier yet I have been doing some "email networking" and chatting to a woman in Maine who works at a Carnival. I am now so much better informed about the life of a "Carnie" than I could ever have imagined. I really do like this chatting to complete strangers; why do you suppose I never felt able to do it in NZ? Don't answer - I already figured it out for myself........I already figured out a lot of things about who I wasn't being in NZ! There is something remarkably nice about arriving somewhere with no history and arriving in such a big arse place so that if ever I create a history I want to escape I can just move on!

No comments: