Friday, January 14, 2011

It's been a big week.....

So I've been a little neglectful of the blog.  I do have pics to post but can't quite get myself off the couch to get the camera to download......oh wait, have got some so will add randomly!
Had a grand time with Pauline and Bernice - so lovely to have kiwi's come to stay and particularly nice as they had been such great hosts in Dublin.  I had to work Friday and Monday so sent them off on various adventures on Friday (Mission, Castro, Union Square) then Friday night Irene was back and we headed off to the landlords restaurant - Saha.  Totally awesome and more so because we got a special little table in the corner.  Lots of yummy tasting dishes and, unexpectedly, some very delightful desserts arrived.  Afterwards we dragged P and B off to The Lex......legendary lesbian bar.  Mostly just so they could get a glimpse into the queer world here.....oh and this is my second time there, usually full of young thangs doing  their thing.  We were there relatively early so a more mixed crowd.
Saturday we headed down to Santa Cruz to hook up with Marcia, go to Capitola, check out the University (I know that sounds dull but you really got to see this University, nestled in a red wood forest) and watch the surfers, spot an otter and see a pod of dolphins leaping.....took them down the coast road to give a sense of just how beautiful the coastline is here.  Marcia (and Caramello) were the perfect hosts as Marcia was full of colour commentary.....and I saw a bunch of stuff I'd never seen!
Saturday night was chill out then Sunday off to Alcatraz to check out the prison.  This is a seriously informational, beautiful and creepy experience.  The family had been and raved about it, it really was quite fab.
Great views of the Bay and a lot of history to be found on the Island (bloody hell it was cold inside tho).  Honestly when it comes to tourist attractions if anyone is visiting SF it's gotta be near the top of the list.  Take the audio tour, it's included in the price and really brings the place into perspective.
Irene headed out early and we moved on to have a yummy lunch on Fisherman's wharf.  Back home to consume leftovers and chill out.  Monday I was back to work and B and P headed off on more adventures before flying out for NZ in the early evening.
Work this week has been BIG.  I've really had to hit the ground running; it's a new client and we are "catching up".  I'm really very grateful for the past few years of learning as I've felt confident enough to step up and deliver some short term "wins" (well I hope so).  My direct report is totally delightful, competent, willing and up for a laugh.  I'm figuring out the boss - he's a gregarious good guy who seems more than happy to let me get on with it (my ideal model of course).
I'm still doing the other business development stuff and, come Monday, will be in St Charles again for a weeks worth of training......I'm not entirely prepared.....
Inside all that the marathon looms and I'm feeling a little afraid.  I'm not at all prepared and haven't run as much as I should have - I think I'm going to end up doing this on "guts and glory" rather than "prior preparation and planning".  I've lost a little weight, but not enough......working on it.  I've stepped up the training, but not enough.....working on it.  Tomorrow, 16 miles.....we shall see, no time commitments, just going to do the miles.

No comments: