Tuesday, January 04, 2011

I take it all back.....

Well some of it!  I'd confess (and Dr E knows it), as fab as the job is that she has in LA I was a little like....yuck.  Visiting LA, as it turns out, is all about knowing someone who actually lives in LA, it changes the whole thing.  And I wasn't entirely evil as I was "okay" to go to LA for New Year and Michelle's birthday...just because she's my pal and a kiwi and I do try to keep an open mind!  Had a fab time.  Had the first round of adventures, very fun.  New Years eve was a total riot, thanks to both Marcia and Michelle.  Went out to dinner with two of their friends, Larry and Tisa.  This was not only fun because they are smart fun people but also added to because, at some point as New York headed into their countdown, we got given horns to blow and a free glass of bubbles as we watched the "ball" drop.  Makes you realize just how big the US is when you think one coast is celebrating and you've still got three hours to go!  After that off to a very fun party with some down to earth, funny, drunken folk.  Spent a lot of time around the fire pit before heading in to watch the karaoke (folks, it is LA, people can actually sing.......).  All lots of fun.
New Years day woke up very committed to running up to the Hollywood Sign.  This is a 3.6 mile (5.7 km) uphill run, and I ran back down too.  Michelle, Marcia and I set out together (well they weren't running, that was my crazy).  Totally awesome way to start the New Year.  The views are gorgeous, the challenge breathtaking and and and.....Given the track isn't entirely clear I got to the top, took some photos and just paused to ponder before heading back down...assuming I would meet M&M.  Turns out we missed each other at the exact point it does get confusing and easy to take a detour before you realize you are not going to end up at the sign.  Oh well, ended up I spent time in the car park (an hour) waiting.  All good though because afterwards we want to a very cool cafe where we ate fab burgers (bad but true) and as a bonus sat at a little table that had draws....when you opened them they were full of notes people had left.  It was a lot like Post Secret, totally fascinating, variously funny, creepy, insightful and a great bonus.
More adventures to come and some pics.

No comments: