Friday, March 30, 2007

Da new plan

I've been in the states for 7 months - 5/6 months of which were spent in a wonderfully supportive environment that allowed me to recover from the past, with not much thought for the future. It seems the future is here and, to be honest, I've spent the last 4 weeks applying for jobs I don't want and........not getting them. I've always yakked on that if something isn't coming together for you then it's because you are doing the wrong something. So, in the interests of walking the talk, I've decided to stop applying for jobs I don't want and write a book on my experiences of Bosnia. It's been a long time coming and I can't think of another time in my life when I will have this much freedom.
While I could aspire to be the global comms manager for some large corp (and may have in the past) - it seems a little tedious and, well, not what I want to do. I do still have some "live" job applications out there but feel a singlemindedness about this.
I guess it's serendipitous that I find myself in the US with Michelle, who has always been a champion of my writing "the book" (along with a few others out there) and brings me full circle in my world.
It's all not quite as random as it sounds. I have a plan - I always have a plan. First I need to leave San Fran and go find somewhere cheaper to live. I am not coming back to NZ as I honestly believe I belong here and this is where I want to be. Honestly too the cost of living in NZ is not unlike here - only with fewer choices. I have a greencard so can work anywhere.
I've looked around a bit and have arrived back in California at Santa Cruz. There's a university, climates great, it's cute, not far from San Fran and jobs. I will get some kind of job. Something interesting, I hope, but not overly taxing.
I've also been researching how you actually go about getting a book published. It's all very possible and no more or less daunting than anything else I've done! That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Questions anyone?

No comments: