Monday, March 19, 2007

Old friends & good times

Back from my lovely weekend with Michelle. It was wonderful to see her and be with someone who simply knows who I am (and who I know so well). M drove up from Santa Cruz (takes about 2.5/3hrs) and, once we got out of San Fran we meandered down the coast to SC. It was a bit misty at first so not much view (although lots of laughing). When the mist passed it became very aparent the coast line is alot like NZ. White sand, big cliffs and lots and lots of surfing beaches. SC itself is surfer central.........older surfers rather than all the young guns from what I saw. It really is a very lovely little town. Nice mix of student life (although somewhat more upmarket), holiday destination and laid back beach lovers. M's campus in actually set in a wooded area - it was an old ranch that was gifted to the government and they have built all the campus buildings around the trees. Really very lovely and very Michelle. It was nice to see where she has spent the last 6 years.
There is also a boardwalk area down by the water front. We sat out on the pier at a lovely restaurant eating and watching seals and birds at play. The Boardwalk has a fun park on it that you wander through - alot like Brighton (England) for those that have been. We did go on an old original wooden roller coaster and play some shooty games in the arcade. Weather was lovely and it was great to just watch people.
Saturday night we went out to a bar (mostly queer) - I'd kinda forgotten what it was like - same dynamics, different country. All shapes, sizes and attitudes la la - enjoyed chatting with M most of all.
I caught the bus back to San Fran on Sunday night and was happy to be back in my little room having enjoyed the weekend, the laughter, food, wine and the adventure! Oh and it did also mean that I passed through a couple of towns where I have been looking for work.
Still job hunting, applied for lots - you'll know when I know.

No comments: