Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Random strangers

So in the interests of not spending all my time alone I have now taken to spending days with random strangers. Okay not quite but I did spend a pleasant afternoon down on Fisherman's Wharf and clothes shopping..........no not me her..........with an undergrad student from Tennassee who moved into the room across from me. She's only here for a week and we struck up a conversation so I invited her on a walking adventure. It was fun and a little "outside the box". Given we walked for about 6 hours (noting she is not actually a great lover of walking!) I am feeling very fit and was more than up for it. No ranch hand opportunities so I have to keep fit somehow.
Found my mystery caller too! Had a lovely chat with Michelle who is very kindly going to pick me up in a few weekends time and take me on a little adventure to Santa Cruz. That will be fab as I haven't been there before and haven't seen Michelle since well before I left NZ.
Started applying for a range of jobs - too early to know if by resume gets me past the first step. If it doesn't, back to the writer we go and she gets to have another go.
K&B are now in NZ and, despite only having a 45min window, did manage to make their connection in San Fran - so did get to speak to them but didn't see them. Funny to think I am now the one on the otherside of the world and all the family is in NZ. Of course I don't feel entirely alone as I do know everyone at the Ranch, at least one other person in San Fran (other than the hotel manager of course) and Michelle. And I've got two other "contacts" I have yet to call.
Best find of the week- fab Vietnamese restaurant that gives the biggest bowls of noodle soup (a personal favourite) for 7 bucks.....I think I am about to become a regular!

Went on a little walking adventure the other day. Walked around the labryinth at the Cathedral and have thrown in some other photos just for fun. Hung out in the park reading my book and then wandered around some other bookshops. The weather over the weekend is supposed to be fantastic so I am planning a little picnic at the Golden Gate Bridge park, down by the water. I've never wandered into there before so I hope the weather is fine.
Have started negotiating taking on a monthly lease at the hotel- given I have no job and no credit history in the US I need to convince them I am a likeable character who can/will pay the rent. I am forever optimistic that it will all be okay and, having looked around a little, in the absense of a job this is still the best option. There are, of course, far more glamorous options but who knows where I will end up. I've even been toying with possibly rooming with someone else when the time comes - not sure about that but Craigslist.com gives me a good idea of what's out there. These are the little things I obsess about!
Another plus, looks like Houghton Bay has sold. Settlement in May so it ain't over until settlement day but there's no reason why it shouldn't all go through. Funny when I left NZ I wasn't at all ready to "own nothing" but, at some point, I realised that part of actually leaving is all about letting things go and that, all going well, I am most likely to end up "owning something" here. If nothing else I can and do dream big!!!

No comments: