Saturday, October 09, 2010

Fleet Week, 22 miles/35 km and adventuring

So these things have been buzzing over the city for the last few days - they are the Blue Angels.  It is Fleet Week.  To save myself alot of grief this is how Wikipedia describes it:
Fleet Week is a United States NavyUnited States Marine Corps and United States Coast Guard tradition in which active military ships recently deployed in overseas operations dock in a variety of major cities for one week. Once the ships dock, the crews can enter the city and visit its tourist attractions. At certain hours, the public can take a guided tour of the ships. Often, Fleet Week is accompanied by military demonstrationsand air shows such as provided by the Blue Angels.


We all know I like things military but Fleet Week proved to be an added bonus for me today as I did my longest and last big run before New York (22 miles).  8am this morning I set out to (again) run from Potrero Ave to the base of the Golden Gate Bridge (with an added leg to get me the extra two miles I needed).  As I hit the Embarcadero there was a lot of action going on (although, thankfully, not yet a lot of people involved).  Various military types and vendors were gearing up for the flood of people that arrive at the waterfront to enjoy the show, visit the ships and generally hang out.  As I got closer to the Golden Gate Bridge more and more folk were setting up "camp" and I started to see the Destroyers coming into port.  Place was humming.  All types of military folk decked out in full regalia.  Although I did make one slightly disconcerting observation.....why is that the adults that are in charge of the Cadets look so god awful in their uniforms and are, inevitably, overweight and unhealthy looking?
That aside, I think I can say with some authority now that 22 miles is a long way........so I was very grateful for all the distractions!  I arrived home in better condition than I might have expected, although still stiff and wondering how tomorrow might feel.
Given that little adventure took me four hours I was cutting it close to get to my haircut.....yay to Irene who dropped me off and picked me up (walking Lotte in between).   Given it was Irene's hairdresser the salon wasn't hard to find....for her, I think I might well have got a little lost as it sits in a nest of one way streets!
Tomorrow morning I'm having breakfast with a new friend (or potential new friend I guess) that Michelle and I met at Mango.  I am being brave about getting out and meeting more new folk, which was the whole point of moving to the city.  After that taking the bike down to Santa Cruz to spend a day helping clear Marcia's yard (all part of her 40th birthday present).
Nice busy weekend and running the 22 is a great confidence booster.....which is, I guess, why they have you do it now in the training program.

No comments: