Saturday, October 23, 2010

Well that was a week.....

So the whole butt injury has proven to be quite the challenge to manage.  I did go for my run midweek but it was a challenge and I realized I needed to give myself more time to recover. Arrrrrrrgh - resting is lovely but it isn't exactly the right time to be "resting".  Fitness wise I probably have lost a little of my edge but the real challenge is your mind, losing confidence is quite a challenging thing to correct.  The mind plays tricks, telling you your body isn't up for it and, really, you don't have to do that (okay that would be a part of my mind that doesn't really take that type of rationale seriously) - it's a battle of wills at this point.  So today I made it my goal to run to the Ferry Building and back, no compromises, no changing my mind, no whimping out, just get out there and do it.  It's only 8miles (13k), that's a little under a third of a marathon distance.  So run it I did.  Three awesome things to come out of it. 1.  I can still run; my mind and body are willing. 2.  Some of the other little niggly muscle strains I have been nursing appear to have eased, given the break. 3.  My butt is not yet a 100% functioning muscle but it is good to run on (and ice now I am back) and should be fully functioning by the time the marathon comes around.  Keep the mind focused and the body will arrive.
Work was at an all time peak.  Most of my deliverables are coming due and I am still on a big learning curve around managing the training.  As is always the way, as we lead into a release people go a little crazy so I've also had to manage down some expectations and hose down some other people who are, quite frankly, insane.  My old job involved a lot of hosing people down so stepping back up to the edge of that has reminded me that, sooner, rather than later, I will be back in the point role.  Although I have no idea where I might land next (almost 100% sure it will be Cisco....and that is what I am asking/looking for) - current role is due to end at the end of December - so we shall see.  It seems, too, that I've got myself involved in writing a second white paper.  So enough to say that I am busy.
Irene and I off to Cat Power in Napa tonight.  Irene's playing the music around the house so that I can know what to expect.  I like it so all going well should be a fun evening.

No comments: