Wednesday, December 22, 2010

No good times go unpaid for and a lil bit of glory....

Well I guess that's not strictly true, over the last few weeks it isn't exactly me that's been paying for the good times.....except, of course, today I went running....and the price of the good times was revealed.  Okay it wasn't that bad but it's clearly time to get back into the routine and hit the road a lot more than I have.  One of the reasons I sign onto the races is because it becomes a great motivator.  New Orleans is becoming a huge motivator as it's not very far away and I need to get myself back in the game if I'm to actually enjoy the race vs just participate!
Technically yesterday was my last day on my project and in a very sweet, unexpected moment, I got a little recognition award.  It's a program the firm runs where your manager gives you points that you then use to buy stuff online.  Melissa gave me some as a thank you and acknowledgment for some of the work I did around coaching other team members and using my skills and knowledge etc.  I was really surprised, totally surprised!  Working with this team has been a huge learning curve and early on I wobbled alot (or felt I did).  Melissa was fantastically supportive, totally willing to coach me and give me time to ramp up....I feel like I should give her the recognition!
I've also just gone through my first round of performance reviews, both for myself and reviewing the two trainers performance.  It's quite formal in that at the beginning of a project you set objectives against some specific criteria, you then self assess and then get assessed.  It's been years and years since I've done such formal performance reviews.  It was really interesting though and I was very happy with how mine turned out - better than I had expected in some areas as I was definitely on a learning curve when it came to parts of the role. Now to move on to the next project and do even better!
I am also still involved in recruiting folk into our new business group.  Seems very funny to be recruiting folk in even as I have only been here for six months.
Clearly work is keeping me interested!
I head to Reno tomorrow to spend time in the snow with Irene, Lotte and their family.  Nice of her to invite me and also another little dot to add to my map.  I have been to Lake Tahoe before but not Reno.  I decided to fly rather than do the 5 hour drive.  I am working a couple of days in between Xmas and NY then head to LA for NY and Michelle's birthday (Disneyland.....yippee!).  Then back to start my new project.

No comments: