Thursday, December 02, 2010

NYC Marathon - the final chapter

So this is the final chapter in the Marathon story!  The video is of me crossing the line.....clock time was 5hrs (i.e based on when the marathon started) my actual time 4:31:11.....a personal record....given it's my  only record! If you want a bigger version check it out on You Tube....I'm experimenting with Blogger video.


So no prizes for guessing that this was the prize!  I think it depicts the
Verrazanno Bridge - where the race begins.  On the right is the actual shot of race day (all the photos are part of a collection I bought (along with the video..........couldn't help myself!).
I think the bridge shot gives a little insight into just how many folk are running - we are on different spans leading onto the bridge according the wave we were in.  There are three running waves and it's not until mile 8 that they bring us all together (versus running on opposite sides of the road!).  It's only around mile 8 that the runners are sufficiently spread that it's actually safe to merge the groups.

It's fair to say that at no point do you ever feel "alone".  Although by the look on my face in the shot below I get a sense I might have been feeling alone.


The day was as bright and clear as the photos show - although cool to start.  It never really did warm up and at various times on the course I pulled my sleeves up or down, depending on how I felt.  I really feel the cold when I run and will run in my running vest (which is not usually bright green I might add), if I feel the need.

The water stations required quite some negotiation and, towards the end there was a sea of cups to navigate, even though volunteers were cleaning up as quickly as they could.  People watching along the way offer water, oranges and bananas (although they strongly recommend you don't take anything from anyone who is not an official.....no prizes for guessing why).  I was, however, more than amused to see the number of folk who offered up tissues!!!! Clearly NY is a very civilized town.  No race I've ever run has ever had that on the menu!


Although you are running with thousands of others I found myself getting into my own stride and just my own head space.  I never chatted with anyone nor found a running buddy.  I think perhaps it's not in my nature to do so and, as I watch myself, I think my body language is very self contained.....job to do, getting it done.....maybe I'm just projecting!

 Each of the boroughs you go through has a different "feel" about it.
Brooklyn notable as was turning onto 1st Ave as we came off the bridge out of the Bronx.....it was about then you could (almost) smell the possibility of finishing.  Of course it was also about then that people who had run out too fast really started to feel the hurt, with some starting to walk with 9 or 10 miles to go......that's alot walking.  Interestingly I didn't see as many people do the walk run thing as I see in other runs - I wonder if that's because there was no half marathon so the "marathoners" were pre.dominately runners, beginning, middle and end.
At mile 25 life is crazy.....we're about into Central Park (although not quite, they take you in then you pop out for a bit before you head back into the final stretch).  In the end it comes down to that final moment...... that's a real grin you see there....I was overjoyed to have crossed that finish line and more than a little startled to realize I had!













No comments: