Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Tiiiiiired, post marathon blues and some fun things

2.5hrs to drive home from Cisco in the rain......AND the day started at 5am.......bleech.  While it never rains in California, when it does, it really really does and people here don't drive that well in the rain..........because.........it is raining.
On the countdown out of my project, don't know where I am going yet.  Collectively the team is all feeling a little riotous (you know, ready to end it).  I'll miss the "girls" and the "boys" from India.  The boys have been just the sweetest guys to deal with, they are beyond polite and respectful and engaging and, once they realized I like to laugh (quite a lot) when things are crazed....very very funny.  And the "girls", well we've had a great time, laughed a lot and I've learnt so much and really loved how we became a team.  It's been a great first project, now I am ready for bigger things.  I am working it, we shall see.
I am also in the post marathon doldrums.  I was warned so it hasn't exactly crept up on me.  Mostly it manifests itself as feeling directionless and like a "failure" (which somewhat overstates it but a general sense of "I'm just hopeless").  Of course none of that is true or real but great highs are inevitably coupled with great lows and vice versa, so don't go thinking I am using this as an opportunity to make a bunch of random ridiculous decisions (although several moments have presented themselves).  The bonus of a few more years of life (and in particular the last few years) has me pausing and just letting all of it roll over me.   And, given I now read a lot of runners blogs, it hardly makes me unique in the world.  It will also pass, as these things do!
Fun things, and there are many.  Every Xmas I can I hunt down a "Wishing Tree".  These trees are set up by various charities to help with trying to have underprivileged kids have a fun xmas by having "gift" cards that you can choose (we can talk endlessly about whether or not the focus is right.....but but but).  The cards have the first name, age, gender and details of the gift the child would like.  I like to search around the tree until I find one that resonates.  Last year I think it was a 9 year old boy who wanted a Darth Veda mask (one of those cool ones with buttons that you push and then have Darth Veda's voice come out!).  This year I choose a three year old girl....she (well really I think her parents) wanted a Talking ABC.....it has the alphabet on it and you hit the button and it says the letter.  This kind of captured my attention because I loved the idea that her parents (at least in my mind) really cared that she learnt to read and write.  Of course then I was in a store and there was this really quite fab wooden play dough thing.....I'll throw it in as well (I expect the charity will pass it on to someone else but I was quite captured by it so decided to add it in and very happy if it lands under someone else's tree).
Much socializing going on next week.....more details later.

No comments: