Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Brain drain....

Okay so this was interesting.  It's an article about NZ expats and what "we" cost NZ:
"....expatriates are costing the country US$10,000 ($14,000) apiece through foregone tax and costs of government services such as education, according to World Bank research."
Can't be a total net loss though - I wonder what it is we bring back into the country when we visit in terms of tourist dollars?  How many expats have property/investments in NZ?  Most American's who know or have been to NZ (and there are a startling number I have met) think I might be a little crazy wanting to live here as they all love NZ.  My current boss lives in Denver, Colorado.  Similar, although different to NZ, Colorado, as I've said before,  is beautiful with sweeping landscapes and lots of opportunities to play in the great outdoors.  At around 700,000 people Denver is the largest city with the next closest half the size....you can see where I am going with this?   I explained it like this: so you live in Denver and travel for your job; now imagine all your opportunities are in Denver and, more importantly, any other opportunities you may have are limited to Colorado.  Equally your social life is focused in Denver or wider Colorado (she is currently single btw) and  that's it.  Sure you can travel, but at a cost, but seriously that's it.  Light immediately went on "oh yeah, I hadn't thought of it that way, I can see why that might not be enough".  Eggzactly.  I think it's the difference between doing your OE and immigrating.  I feel like I've immigrated and have always felt that way from the day I left.
Side note:  I just re.read the Colorado entry....hmm phd....yikes, nope don't think so (although most certainly something else); cross country skiing and snowshoeing still to come; never ever thought at the time of writing that I would consider being one of those crazy marathoners....now I feel kind of chuffed to have driven through that valley and know where the elite train! That trip was awesome and I have some lovely pictures in my head!

No comments: