Thursday, August 05, 2010

Corporate Challenge

Last night I ran in the Corporate challenge.  It really was as cold as it looks – in the background is the Oakland Bay Bridge.  The Course was around the waterfront.  Nice flat route along the Embarcadero (part of which I ran for the SF half).  It was 3.5m/5.5km so not a huge distance for me these days.  My boss, Melissa (to my left in white hoodie) ran as well.  She hasn’t run in a long time so I offered to hang with her so she didn’t have to run alone and was very happy to do it.  Mostly I much prefer to run by myself (although was proven wrong when last in NZ having really enjoyed the trail run with Gwenda………well trail running is much more social able, runners much friendlier overall, so probably lends itself to company……..road runners, stoic, largely grumpy folk!).  That said the Challenge brought out all shapes, sizes and abilities (yes I did wear the teeshirt, but over my running jacket…it was seriously cold out there).  Our team was really supportive of one another, cheering each other on.  Melissa toughed it out and didn’t stop (although confessed she wanted to but didn’t as we were together).  She set a good pace and I really enjoyed the run without running myself raggard…….it’s not like I could have won the darn thing so being able to support someone else with no particular goal in mind was nice…..I think she did me a favour as I will still a little twingy from the weekend 20miler……and all that moving of boxes. Afterwards we headed off to a local restaurant/bar for snacks and nibbles.  Kind of surreal to find myself in running gear at quite a nice stylie restaurant!  It was a really fun evening and enjoyed getting to know some new folk.....this is why I have moved to San Fran, participating in things is so much easier.
House unpacking progresses.  Irene’s furniture and style suit the house perfectly.  My contribution will be a couch and maybe some storage units.  My room remains barren in terms of a bed…..this weekend I will choose it, no idea when it might be delivered but must make sure that they deliver it into the house, not onto the street which is, apparently, not unusual (good grief).  As I settle in I am feeling happier and happier about having made the move.  It’s nice to be back in the city (although SF weather not the greatest).  Where we are is a little microclimate but once you head downtown….brrrr, always a chill in the air.  SF weather wise is so like Wellington it’s spooky. 
Irene introduces Lottie (her dog) to the house today.  We have met Habeb (landlords dog living upstairs).  What a riot!  Tiny little dark grey poodle that was wearing a very She-She coat……quite startling really…..Irene is worried Lottie will eat him!

No comments: