Sunday, August 01, 2010

nzalien on the move - 20m/32km and moving house

Taking a pause from packing and cleaning (any excuse!).  BIG running milestone today - I ran 20 miles, my longest run yet! This is a long way, a very long way, especially when at mile 10 my i-pod headphones decided they had had enough and were no longer willing to play nicely!  Run took me 3.5hrs which I guess is okay (no idea really, I wasn't running for time, just survival).  Before NY my training plan has my longest run at 22 miles.  I am well ahead of the plan though so maybe it just means I will do a faster time than I expect.  Hard to know, I haven't really looked hard at the course yet; although I always train hills if there are more or they are longer than I am used to, well, it's all just about survival in the end.
Michelle came over yesterday to help me pack and clean (yay Michelle who has a delightful foible of liking to clean things....like ovens and fridges).  Big move is tomorrow.  Given I left NZ with three suitcases and still have no furniture to speak of, it's a little startling to see just how much I've accumulated in the way of misc stuff.  Well sheets and towels and then a little bit of kitchen stuff....few more clothes, the motorcycle gear alone takes up one case.  Although I'm a little upset to realize that I bought these really fab leather motorcycle trousers last year ..... but they longer fit....hugely don't fit!  I haven't even worn them yet as I got them at the end of last summer.  I know on one level this is a good thing but, still, I really really liked them.  I will have to sell them on ebay or something and see if I can get another pair.
I am very ready to leave Santa Cruz, this chapter of my time here is done.  It's been a wonderful place to create a stable base but now I feel like I have to move on to whatever is next.  Once I hit SF I will start looking at the house buying thing.  My dilemma, of course, is do I actually buy what I would love to live in right here and now (knowing that it's not likely to appreciate in value much, but a very manageable mortgage so a renter longer term) or buy something that's livable, needs some work and is likely to appreciate in value.  Sensible self knows number two is right.......but I'm keeping the lotto dream alive, just in case I can have it all!

No comments: