Thursday, July 29, 2010

SF Marathon 2 - the photos

I just can’t figure any way to look glamorous in these shots……in fact in this one I look downright weird but….it is what it is.  Mile 11ish, headphones off because the last two miles always has lots of cheering and clapping going on, very inspirational when you are feeling tired.
Shot of the Bridge on the right  – two way traffic, cars and  people.  I think though you get the idea, a lot of people on the Bridge at once, hence the wave start!  We were also mixed up with the marathoners so even more folks.  The fog had lifted by the time I hit the Bridge but for most of the time while I ran around the Bay you could see the Bridge shrouded in mist – very San Francisco –  it never fails to delight me when I realize I really do live here and this is my backyard.
Photo of the start too – each wave started with a clear run ahead and being in the pack waiting to start kept the cold at bay.  Folk spread out pretty quickly.  Interestingly I never really race against anyone else.  Inevitably you end up with a cohort, a couple of people who run a similar pace and who you seem to play leapfrog with, but in the end the whole thing is a negotiation with yourself…….make it to the next corner, get over the next hill, 3 miles, six miles, 10 miles……..one step at a time, one mile at a time – NY will bring a whole other level to think on!
At the Bridge turn around I grabbed some GU (for the non –runners that is the little silver packets you see people munching on when they run).  It’s all about personal preference, some people eat bananas, food bars or gummy chews during half marathons/marathons, others have GU or some other similar supplement, and not just any old thing will do…….I guess there is a reason sports supplements are a multi-billion dollar business.  By the time you hit 10 miles you have to refuel and keep refueling, your body has about done all its reserves so one of the things to get right before a marathon is figuring out what works for you to refuel on the run……..GU is it for me!  It’s really disgustingly sweet and has a very viscous texture but it really does provide a spike in energy.  Most importantly it doesn’t upset my stomach.  You do need to plan to take it near a water station though, as it does need to be washed down a little.  On the marathon I will consume several of these!!!  There is always food at the end of these races too – depends on the race what sort and how much.  There’s always free water being given away and  I always grab a banana – all the books/magazines and the experienced runners say to consume carbs within half an hour of running long distances, bananas are the thing for me.  The bigger the race the better the food on offer too.
Someone asked me the other day what I would have said 12 months ago if I’d been told come August 2010 I would have raced in four half marathons and one 10k trail run……I told them I would have laughed into the wine bottle and poured another glass – I can’t help but think the jokes on me.

No comments: