Sunday, September 12, 2010

40th Birthdays, 20 milers and new furniture

Sunday, lounging in bed....last night Irene and I hosted a small dinner for Marcia's 40th birthday (she's having a series of events so this is one of many!).  When I say "we" hosted I mean Irene cooked and I did other stuff!  It was great fun!  This is our first real dinner party and the house is perfect for it as we have the lounge and dining room separate and the house is big enough to not have folk tripping all over one another.  Andreana and Joan made the carrot cake to the right and Irene and I supplied the very stylie, adult plates to go with.  Of course in time honoured tradition nobody remembered to bring birthday candles so Joan improvised with her lighter.
Friday I went for another 20 miler.....this continues to feel like a very very long run.  I ran from my house to the base of the Golden Gate Bridge - so it took me along the waterfront, which was very lovely and also had me run through some areas I haven't been into before.  I left late in the day as it was really hot (around 5ish).  I had to dodge folk around Fisherman's Wharf and figured I probably looked like a bit of an idiot....didn't much care though, on a mission, gotta keep going.  I also thought that maybe this was good practice for NY as the start of races are always congested and I expect there are parts where dodging people (and being dodged) will all be part of the experience.  What was most unexpected and really delightful was being in the perfect position to see the most gorgeous sunset. The photo on the right, above isn't mine but pretty much captures the view - this as I was heading back home, so a lovely boost as there was a little hill to traverse along the way!  The last three miles were predictably painful, particularly as I missed a turn and had to run an additional hill.......I continue to be my own worst enemy sometimes.  Hilariously I ran exactly the same time I did with Zoe two weeks before (but frankly didn't feel as good as I had after running with her) - although I guess this route had hills, no evil wind though - unpredicatable.....I think I have to do two more 20s before November.
Friday some of my furniture started to arrive too - YAY.  It's all quite as lovely as I remembered.  The little table works perfectly in the lounge and Michelle was happy to model it for me.  The bookshelf on the right fits perfectly in my room as well and now you can see my desk (and new filing cabinet) - my room is starting to come together.  The rest of the bedroom furniture arrives in two weeks so I think I am about done.....hmmm although I am trying to buy a piece of NZ Art work at auction in a few weeks time.....now that would really complete the room !

No comments: