Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Overachievers anonymous

I've just arrived home from the most delightful evening (such a very british turn of phrase), with my work colleagues.  It was fun and totally scary on a number of levels. Fun because it was a "working session" where we shared how each of our projects connects to one another.....my boss is away so I got to be the "spokes geek"......90 seconds or less, "tell us about the project you work on and how it connects to other projects at Cisco"!  As part of the show two of "us", that would be me and one other dude, got to "share".  This ended up being a Q+A where we talked about ourselves i.e fav concert, how long with the company, how long with Cisco etc etc. Revealing moment "what are three things you would share with the team".....well guess what I chose?  Running the NY Marathon for charity on Nov 7, flown solo in a helicopter twice and spent 8 months peacekeeping in Bosnia with the NZ Army.....no idea why those three things so much as I just thought they were interesting things to share.
Why the headline "overachievers......."?  This is a seriously smart, ambitious bunch of folk.....they are also funny, talented and.....I don't know, I just like them.  I hope they like me too.  Tonight at least, I felt like I belonged and could, maybe, see if I work hard and stay focused and decide it's for me that I could be a valued part of the team.
Oh, and best of all, we were at a very fine establishment in San Jose that offered up yum snacks and good vino!

No comments: